Why Giants GM Dave Gettleman won't prioritize QB in NFL Draft

The GM explained his philosophy has not changed when it comes to the draft

1/2/2019, 5:52 PM
0 seconds of 1 minute, 15 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
01:15
01:15
 

When it comes to the NFL Draft, Giants GM Dave Gettleman's philosophy has always been the same:

Take the best player available. 

The Giants have the sixth pick in the draft this year and with Eli Manning's future uncertain at this point, the question of whether or not finding a future franchise quarterback is a priority this offseason came up at Gettleman's end of the year press conference on Wednesday. 

"If you make something a priority, you will make a mistake," he said. "It's got to be within the flow of what you're doing. You can't force it. Especially at quarterback. ...when you get to the draft you're taking the best player. You're not taking I need 'a' so I'm taking 'a.' No. You do that you'll make a mistake and you'll screw it up."

Gettleman and the Giants stuck with that mindset in last year's NFL Draft when they selected Saquon Barkley with the No. 2 pick instead of opting for a potential heir to Manning in Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen. 

It is possible Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins could be the guy in that scenario this year, but Gettleman has no regrets in opting for the best available player. 

"You start reaching you're going to get into trouble," Gettleman said. "Us taking Saquon was not a referendum on the quarterbacks. It was a referendum on Saquon - the player and person that he is. If I was in that situation 100 times, I'd draft him 100 times."

Popular in the Community