Mets' Matz to miss multiple starts due to flexor pronator strain

Matz has been dealing with forearm tightness but has no structural damage

8/8/2018, 2:06 AM
Jul 31, 2018; Washington, DC, USA; New York Mets starting pitcher Steven Matz (32) pitches during the second inning against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park. Mandatory Credit: Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports / Tommy Gilligan
Jul 31, 2018; Washington, DC, USA; New York Mets starting pitcher Steven Matz (32) pitches during the second inning against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park. Mandatory Credit: Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports / Tommy Gilligan

Mets LHP Steven Matz will miss multiple starts after suffering a flexor pronator strain in his left forearm, reports Anthony DiComo of MLB.com.

Corey Oswalt, who was called up when Matz landed on the DL, will pitch again in Matz's absence. 

Matz previusly said he expected to miss only one start. An MRI on Matz revealed no structural damage and assistant GM John Ricco said on Thursday that the team would probably go the conservative route and skip his rotation turn.

Matz, who allowed seven runs in 0.2 innings on Tuesday night, said after the game that he had been going through a 'dead arm' period during his last three starts.

The 27-year-old Matz had surgery on his pitching elbow last August, which was the same surgery Jacob deGrom underwent after the 2016 season. 

During the surgery, Matz' ulnar nerve was moved in order to relieve discomfort. He had been pitching through significant pain at times during the 2017 season.

Matz also has a Tommy John surgery in his past, having undergone the procedure in May of 2010. 

Before his ERA spiked from 3.79 to 4.35 during Tuesday night's shellacking, Matz had been putting together the most complete season of his career. He has pitched 107.2 innings so far in 2018. 


Popular in the Community