The Mets introduced their biggest acquisition this offseason -- so far -- in Frankie Montas on Friday afternoon.
Montas, 31, is a bit of a reclamation project for the Mets after an injury-plagued tenure with the Yankees and an up-and-down 2024 season with the Reds and Brewers.
With the free agent market heating up, and a starting rotation to build, the Mets plunked down a two-year, $34 million deal (with a player option after the first year) earlier this month. In his introductory Zoom call with the media, Montas was asked why he chose to sign with the Mets and the adjustments he's made physically and mentally to get him ready for the 2025 season and beyond.
Why Frankie Montas chose the Mets
Montas has relationships with two former Mets pitchers: Luis Severino and Sean Manaea from his time with the Yankees and Athletics, respectively.
The right-hander said that both starters told him all the good things about the organization and how their resources "take your game to the next level." Montas cited how three pitchers last year pitched more than 170 innings, a mark Montas has only achieved once (2021).
"I got to see [the resources] a little bit of it when I was in New York these couple of days," Montas explained. "The way they prepare guys, the way they help with your recovery… I'm definitely excited for next year and see how they can help me improve my game."
Last season, Montas pitched to a 7-11 record and a 4.84 ERA in 150.2 innings, the most he's pitched since 2022. But it wasn't just the resources, Montas talked about how the Mets organization is willing to do what it takes to win, which was another big reason for his decision.
"That's a team that's hungry to win. They are coming for everything," he said. "The way that they contacted me, to bring me to this team it just let me know they are serious about what they are doing. Why not join them? It's a team that has one of the toughest lineups to face. I got the privilege to face them and I know how tough they are. I wanted to be a part of that for sure."