Yankees finalizing deal to bring back DJ LeMahieu: report

Both New York teams had been in the hunt for LeMahieu

1/15/2021, 11:57 AM
Sep 11, 2020; Bronx, New York, USA; New York Yankees second baseman DJ LeMahieu (26) swings the bat before his at bat during the first inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Yankee Stadium / Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports
Sep 11, 2020; Bronx, New York, USA; New York Yankees second baseman DJ LeMahieu (26) swings the bat before his at bat during the first inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Yankee Stadium / Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

The Yankees have made it clear that re-signing DJ LeMahieu is their top priority, while the Mets and Blue Jays have been connected to him. Here's the latest...


Jan. 15, 6:57 a.m.

The Yankees are finalizing a deal to bring back DJ LeMahieu, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com.

Per Morosi, the deal could be completed later on Friday.

Terms of the deal are not yet known, but it had been reported that LeMahieu was seeking a five-year deal in the $110 million range.

Among the other teams that were in the hunt for LeMahieu were the Mets and Toronto Blue Jays.

Per SNY's Andy Martino, there was mutual interest between the Mets and LeMahieu.

Jan. 11, 11:51 a.m.

LeMahieu has "become dismayed" by the "slow-play" tactics of the Yankees and other teams and has asked his agents to circle back with teams that have showed the most interest in him, reports Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports.

Per Brown, the Mets, Toronto Blue Jays, and Los Angeles Dodgers are among the teams that have shown the most interest.

Brown reports that LeMahieu is seeking a deal worth at least what J.D. Martinez got from the Boston Red Sox, which was $110 million over five years.

Per Jon Heyman, the Yankees have so far been willing to go to only four years for LeMahieu. 

For the Mets, who have a need at third base, LeMahieu -- who will likely cost a solid amount less than free agent CF George Springer -- would be a very nice fit.

Jan. 5, 6:03 p.m.

The Yankees are officially in “wait-and-see mode” with LeMahieu right now, a source within the team told YES Network’s Jack Curry. What does that mean exactly? Well, Curry explained it as this:

“They have told him what the parameters would be for them bringing him back, but the Yankees are not going to bid against themselves,” he said on Yankees Hot Stove.

Basically, the Yankees don’t seem too worried despite other teams like the Toronto Blue Jays, Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets, among others, interested in the All-Star. LeMahieu was reportedly looking for a five-year deal worth around $110 million, while the Yankees supposedly gave an offer around $84 million over four years.

If LeMahieu is set on the five-year pact, the Yankees might reach his demands. However, wait-and-see mode means GM Brian Cashman might not be showing his hand right on the flop. He could be waiting for the river card to match whatever another team bids.

LeMahieu still remains the Yanks’ top priority this offseason, so like them, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Jan. 2, 4:48 p.m.

The Dodgers have “continued to show interest” in LeMahieu, according to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi.

Los Angeles has been known to feature players who can play multiple positions, and LeMahieu certainly fits that bill. Though he has primarily been a second baseman throughout his career, LeMahieu made 11 appearances at both first and third last season.

Dec. 22, 7:57 p.m.

According to a report from MLB Network's Jon Heyman, the Mets have recently reached out to LeMahieu, which could set up a battle between the two New York teams to land the three-time All-Star.

The Mets have some interesting decisions to make on the infield with Robinson Cano suspended and Andres Gimenez, Jeff McNeil, and Amed Rosario having the versatility to play multiple positions. LeMahieu, of course, could fit in at second or third, and the Mets would be able to move pieces around to fit a star like LeMahieu in their infield in 2021 and beyond. 

Dec. 21, 11:37 a.m.

With the gap between both sides continuing, LeMahieu is starting to talk to other teams. According to ESPN's Jeff Passan, a team in the AL East is a big contender for LeMahieu's services. 

The Toronto Blue Jays, per his sources, are "significant players in the LeMahieu sweepstakes." Passan adds them being the Yanks' "biggest threat," and the Blue Jays have made it known they are aggressive this offseason to complement their solid young core. 

Dec. 14, 9:03 a.m.

With the Yankees and LeMahieu reportedly more than $25 million apart in contract talks, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, LeMahieu is planning to start talking with other interested teams.

In addition to the Yankees, the Toronto Blue Jays are among the teams that could make a strong push for LeMahieu.

SNY's Andy Martino has been reporting that LeMahieu is the Yankees' top priority, and that the shape of their offseason could change if they are unable to reach an agreement to bring him back.

LeMahieu will turn 33 years old this coming July, making a deal of potentially five years a bit risky. 

Dec. 13, 11:08 a.m.


According to NJ.com’s Brendan Kuty, the Yankees and LeMahieu are way off on money during contract negotiations.

Kuty says a “gulf … wider than $25 million” is currently between both sides, as they are unable to agree on the financial terms of a deal. The Yankees wanted LeMahieu under a contract worth $75 million over four years. However, LeMahieu has been looking for a five-year pact worth $100 million.

“The years are right,” Kuty’s source said. “The money is wrong.”

The Yankees have made it very known that re-signing LeMahieu is priority number one, and SNY’s Andy Martino noted that the rest of their free agency tasks will likely be coming after that is nailed down one way or another.

Dec. 10, 8:40 p.m.

GM Brian Cashman made it known yet again that the Yankees' "intent" is to re-sign LeMahieu. 

"No, I don't have any updates there," Cashman said on LeMahieu. "We have had discussions, and our intent is there. Obviously we have good intentions when it comes to DJ LeMahieu and trying to re-sign him, and I think he has the same on his end."

The Yankees are working on a budget this year following the pandemic-riddled losses from the 2020 season and Cashman noted the "financial opportunity" that other teams can offer compared to New York. 

Dec. 9, 2:31 p.m.

Luke Voit
seems very confident that LeMahieu will be back with the Bombers in 2021.

"If I was a gambling man, I'd want to put money on DJ coming back," Voit said, per Bryan Hoch of MLB.com. "I think he wants to be back. I hope he's back because he's one of the best players in baseball, one of the best hitters I ever played with.

"I want him in the pinstripes for the rest of his career."

Dec. 8, 11:43 a.m.

In his latest piece about the Yankees' starting pitching options, SNY's Andy Martino noted the Yankees are working on a budget this offseason due to the losses taken because of the pandemic last season.


LeMahieu, then, is the priority with a cap on spending. Martino says both sides are in talks, and the Yankees are "hoping to get him but not certain that they will."

Dec. 3, 2:57 p.m.

Because LeMahieu will likely require a big chunk of money, the Yankees are waiting for his free agency to end one way or another before seeing where else they can look, per SNY’s Andy Martino.

Several agents told Martino this, saying the Yanks continued to pursue LeMahieu despite the starting pitching market being something they could dabble in.

Nov. 18, 5:46 p.m.

After Robinson Cano was suspended for performance-enhancing drugs, the Mets emerged as a possible landing spot for LeMahieu. However, SNY’s Andy Martino still believes the Yankees are the likelier landing spot.

LeMahieu has already made it known that he likes the Yankees fit. The Mets also have options like Andres Gimenez and Jeff McNeil to move into that second base role. With Steve Cohen owning the team now, though, the Mets can’t be ruled out until a deal is inked.

Nov. 11, 5:00 p.m.

As expected, LeMahieu declined his $18.9 million qualifying offer from the Yankees, and will head into free agency looking for a much bigger deal.

The reigning American League batting champ has earned that over the past two seasons in pinstripes, easily the team’s MVP in that span. The Yanks are very much in the mix to re-sign him, as LeMahieu has mentioned his desire to return.

The 32-year-old has hit .336/.386/.536 in his two seasons with the Yanks, and has been an MVP candidate in both seasons.

Popular in the Community