Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor will undergo an MRI on his back after he exited Sunday's loss at the Philadelphia Phillies in the second inning with back discomfort.
"We're gonna do some images and see if there's anything concerning in there," Lindor said after the game. "If not, then we continue to try and get better. The goal is to be available as many times as I can in these last [13] games that we have left. And that's pretty much it."
He added: "We're gonna evaluate it tomorrow and see where to go."
Manager Carlos Mendoza said he is concerned that Lindor had to leave the game, but that it is still "early to sit here and say 'I'm really worried.' Just gotta see how he feels tomorrow, the next day, so it's too early to tell."
Lindor was deemed healthy enough to be in the lineup after leaving Friday's game and missing Saturday's, but his afternoon ended after experiencing discomfort in his first at-bat.
The MVP candidate notched a leadoff single in the top of the first but appeared to run very slowly out of the box and simply didn’t look like himself.
"I just felt like my back got a little weak as I took a couple steps towards first base," Lindor said. "Just didn't feel comfortable to continue to push it."
At first, Lindor told the Mets' first base coach to Antoan Richardson to let the bench know to get a defensive replacement ready because "this is not letting go right now."
Lindor said that the swing wasn't necessarily what caused the injury to flare up and "felt fine" after fouling off a pitch earlier in the at-bat.
"I actually took a swing and I fouled one off and it felt good, that gave me extra confidence, I swung and fouled the ball off and I re-gathered myself and I felt like I was in a good spot and when I hit the ball, and I took a couple steps out of the box I didn't feel how I wanted to feel," he said.