The Yankees might have an interesting situation brewing at the hot corner.
Or at least, they might have until general manager Brian Cashman made a definitive statement on Friday.
That position belongs to Gio Urshela, despite Miguel Andujar returning from injury.
"It's Gio's job to lose," Cashman told MLB.com. "The same as it was Andujar's job to lose until he got hurt."
Yankees skipper Aaron Boone previously said Andujar will be good to go and "totally healthy" by Spring Training.
But Andujar, 24, kicked things up a notch when videos recently surfaces of him throwing and fielding ground balls on his surgically repaired torn labrum in his right shoulder:
Miguel Andujar taking ground balls in the Dominican Republic after season-ending right shoulder surgery.@z101digital @ZDeportes pic.twitter.com/QDkL6K5xJl
- Héctor Gómez (@hgomez27) January 8, 2020
Andujar was held to 12 games in 2019, a year after he was a runner-up for the Rookie of the Year Award here he slashed .297/.328/.527 with 27 home runs and 92 RBI. That allowed Urshela, 28, to slide in and take his spot where he slashed .207/.258/.397 with 21 home runs and 74 RBI last season. Worth mentioning is the better defender is certainly Urshela as well.
"You can't deny how great Gio played last year," Cashman said in November. "I wouldn't be honest if I didn't tell you going into spring training he would have the leg up."
It's possible that one of the two, more likely Andujar, could be moved via trade. But as things currently sit, he's the No. 2 at third base for the Yankees.