Jan. 27, 8:45 p.m.
Right-hander Hector Neris reached an agreement with the Chicago Cubs on a one-year, $9 million contract Saturday, according to multiple reports.
Both the Yankees and Mets had made contact with the 34-year-old reliever earlier as reported by SNY MLB Insider Andy Martino earlier this week, however neither was close to signing him.
Neris pitched to a 1.71 ERA (3.83 FIP) last year in 68.1 innings over 71 games. He allowed 16 runs (13 earned) on 41 hits with 31 walks (1.054 WHIP) and 77 strikeouts.
The Yanks remain in play for right-handers Phil Maton, Ryan Brasier and Keynan Middleton, as well as lefty Wandy Peralta.
Neris’ deal with the Northsiders includes an option for 2025 (also for $9 million) that converts to a player option if Neris makes 60 appearances this season.
Jan. 26, 10:40 a.m.
The Yankees’ focus remains on adding bullpen pieces as the date for pitchers and catchers to report draws near, but money could be impacting the arms race.
The New York Post’s Jon Heyman noted the club has spoken to right-handers Phil Maton and Ryan Brasier as well as lefty Wandy Peralta. SNY MLB Insider Andy Martino reported earlier this week that both the Yanks and Mets were speaking with righty Hector Neris.
However, New York is “alleged to be making low offers" to relievers, per Heyman. And YES Network’s Jack Curry floated the idea of a reunion with right-hander Kenyan Middleton as a lower-cost option.
On the starting pitcher front, Heyman reiterated that the Bronx Bombers had made an offer to Blake Snell’s camp, but the gulf between the two sides is far too vast for it to be likely the lefty ends up in pinstripes.
Jan. 23, 7:15 p.m.
As the Yankees turn their focus towards filling out their bullpen, they've reportedly had conversations about a potential reunion with RHP Keynan Middleton, according to YES Network's Jack Curry.
The Yanks acquired Middleton from the Chicago White Sox ahead of the trade deadline last season and he pitched very well for them down the stretch.
The 30-year-old right-hander allowed just three earned runs while striking out 17 batters and posting a 0.97 WHIP across 12 appearances in pinstripes.
Jan. 21, 12:50 p.m.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was a guest with MLB Network Radio on Sunday and gave his thoughts on whether he will continue to look to add this offseason.
According to Jim Duquette, one of the hosts of Front Office, Cashman said he continues to have trade discussions with other clubs and is still looking to possibly add pitching to his team. This is something Cashman said earlier in the week when he met with the media following the introduction of Marcus Stroman.
"I think we have a good rotation if everything goes right, which we know is something we don't want to lay back and count on,” Cashman said then. “We’ll continue to look and tinker when possible.”
While Cashman didn’t go into too many specifics on MLB Network Radio, he did say he was hoping to upgrade the Yankees bullpen from outside the organization. But if he doesn’t he’s comfortable with how it’s currently constructed.
The Yankees recently signed Luke Weaver to a one-year deal but there are still high-end relievers out there like former Yankees Wandy Peralta and David Robertson as well as Hector Neris among others.
Jan. 18, 1:05 p.m.
The Yankees have signed utility man Jose Rojas to a minor league deal with an invitation to big league spring training, according to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi.
Rojas last played in the majors with the Los Angeles Angels in 2022. In 22 games with the Halos, Rojas slashed .125/.140/.161. However, Rojas can play multiple positions. In his short career, Rojas has played both corner outfield spots as well as first, second and third base.
Jan. 17, 1:09 p.m.
The Yankees have signed INF/OF Josh VanMeter to a minor league deal, reports Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.
VanMeter, 28, has hit .206/.293/.347 in parts of four big league seasons with the Cincinnati Reds, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Pittsburgh Pirates.
He last appeared in the majors in 2022, when he played 67 games for the Pirates.
Jan. 13, 7:17 p.m.
With free agency continuing to take shape this offseason, RHP Hector Neris' market is becoming active with the Yankees emerging as a potential frontrunner for the reliever, according to MLB's Mark Feinsand.
New York isn't alone, though, as Feinsand reports that the Texas Rangers are also seen as a possible landing spot for Neris who pitched for the Houston Astros in 2023.
The right-hander went 6-3 with a 1.71 ERA (1.05 WHIP) in 68.1 innings across 71 games last season with 77 strikeouts in what was the best season of his career.
Neris, 34, began his career with the Philadelphia Phillies where he pitched for eight seasons before joining Houston in 2022. Overall, the Dominican Republic native is 33-36 with a 3.24 ERA (1.15 WHIP) over 541.1 innings pitched to go along with 676 strikeouts and 89 saves.
SNY's Andy Martino also reported that LHP Wandy Peralta is still a possibility for New York where Peralta pitched for the last three seasons.
Jan. 11, 5:15 p.m.
As the Yankees ramp up their efforts to upgrade their starting rotation, they've reportedly made an opening offer to left-hander Blake Snell, according to Jon Heyman of the NY Post.
However, Heyman notes that the two sides remain far apart in discussions and no deal is close at the moment.
The Yankees are also said to be no closer on Dylan Cease trade talks with the White Sox and they believe Jordan Montgomery may prefer to return to Texas or elsewhere.
SNY's Andy Martino recently reported that the 31-year-old Snell had privately expressed an interest in playing for the Bombers and he seemed like more of a fit than Montgomery.
Snell would be a nice boost to their rotation coming off a tremendous season with the San Diego Padres in which he secured his second career Cy Young award. Snell alongside ace Gerrit Cole certainly would give the Yanks a nice one-two punch at the top.
Jan. 11, 2:25 p.m.
The Yankees have brought back a right-hander to potentially bolster their rotation.
According to MLB Insider Robert Murray, the Yankees and Luke Weaver have agreed to a one-year, $2 million deal, pending a physical. The deal includes a club option for 2025.
The Yankees claimed Weaver off waivers from the Seattle Mariners last September. The 30-year-old made three appearances for the Yanks -- all starts -- posting a 3.38 ERA and 1.28 WHIP.
Weaver elected free agency instead of a minor league assignment in November, but will now rejoin the Yankees for the 2024 season.
Jan. 11, 10:25 a.m.
The Yankees are interested in bringing in a reliever who pitched in the AL East last season to bolster their bullpen.
MLB Network's Jon Morosi reports that RHP Jordan Hicks is drawing interest from a number of teams, including the Houston Astros and Yankees.
SNY's Andy Martino reported last week that an impactful alternative to Josh Hader for the Yanks could be Hicks, according to league sources.
Hicks spent the 2023 season split between the Cardinals and Blue Jays. After struggling a bit with the RedBirds -- with a 3.67 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP in 40 appearances -- he was traded to Toronto, where he improved. In 25 appearances with the Blue Jays, Hicks pitched to a 2.63 ERA and a 1.083 WHIP.
Jan. 9, 7:00 p.m.
Just two days prior to his posting deadline, Japanese ace Shota Imanaga has reached an agreement on a deal with the Chicago Cubs, according to numerous reports.
Imanaga had been viewed as a potential target for both the Yankees and Mets with their needs in the starting rotation, but both were said to be out of the mix of late.
The left-hander doesn't quite have the upside Yoshinobu Yamamoto brings, but he still enjoyed his fair share of success during his time in the NPB.
The 30-year-old posted a 2.66 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, and 188 strikeouts across 24 starts last season.
Jan. 8, 5:03 p.m.
The Yankees have signed free agent infielder Kevin Smith.
The terms of the deal are not known, but the 27-year-old has played in parts of three seasons with the Oakland A's and Toronto Blue Jays. Last season, Smith played in 49 games where he slashed .185/.220/.326 with five home runs and 11 RBI.
Smith took to social media to announce his signing, posting a picture of himself as a child wearing a Yankees hat with the caption "heading home for 2024."
Jan. 7, 10:40 a.m.
As the Yankees look to fill out their starting rotation, they have reportedly spoken to a team for a potential trade.
New York has spoken to the Marlins about their influx of young pitching, Jon Heyman of The New York Post reports.
The Marlins are reportedly taking inquiries on several starters including Jesus Luzardo, Edward Cabrera, Braxton Garrett and Trevor Rogers.
The report, however, adds that there's no evidence of any real traction there yet.
SNY's Andy Martino reported this week that the Yankees are working to add a starter either via free agency or trade as part of an "active" January.
Jan. 5, 12:20 a.m.
In addition to looking at the top free agent starters, the Yankees are also pursuing trade possibilities as they look to fill out their rotation.
New York is said to be among teams that have expressed "sincere interest" in White Sox right-hander Dylan Cease, according to Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic.
Rosenthal notes that the exact list of suitors isn't known, but the Orioles, Dodgers, Cardinals, and Red Sox have also shown interest in the hard thrower
Cease is one of the top arms available on the trade market coming off a season in which he made a career-high 33 starts and posted a 4.58 ERA while striking out 214 batters.
Jan. 4, 2 p.m.
The Yankees have signed right-hander Cody Poteet to a major league deal, according to The New York Post's Joel Sherman.
The deal was pending a physical which, according to Sherman, was Wednesday.
Poteet, 29, last pitched in the majors with the Miami Marlins in 2022. In 12 appearances (two starts), Poteet had a 3.86 ERA with a 1.21 WHIP. Despite signing a minor league contract with the Royals last winter, Poteet underwent Tommy John surgery that kept him out of action in 2023.
Poteet did make one appearance in Triple-A where he pitched two innings and struck out one batter.
In addition, the Yankees claimed OF Bubba Thompson from the Cincinnati Reds.
Thompson, 25, batted .170 (9-for-53) in 37 games with the Texas Rangers last season. He was claimed by Cincinnati from the Royals in October.
Jan. 3, 9:43 p.m.
After being in on RHP Jordan Montgomery for most of the offseason (which remains true), the Yankees are now also "considering" the other top free agent starting pitcher on the market in LHP Blake Snell, per Jon Heyman of the NY Post.
The reigning NL Cy Young award winner with the San Diego Padres, Snell could potentially link up with Gerrit Cole, the Cy Young winner in the AL in 2023, and form a powerful 1-2 punch at the top of New York’s rotation.
On whether Snell, a Seattle native, has a preference for the West Coast or if the Yankees have a chance to land him, his agent Scott Boras said:
“Snell has won a Cy Young both on the East and the West Coast, and in both leagues. He is open to all clubs and is seeking winning and competitive environments.”
Jan. 3, 11:40 a.m.
The Yankees are reportedly more than open to bringing back left-hander Jordan Montgomery. According to ESPN's Jeff Passan, New York would "love" a reunion with Montgomery, but they aren't the only team interested.
The Texas Rangers are looking to re-sign Montgomery after he helped them win their first World Series, but Passan reports that the team doesn't know how the Diamond Sports' bankruptcy will affect their television deal and their budget.
Montgomery was drafted by the Yankees in 2014 and pitched five-plus seasons in pinstripes before he was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals at the 2022 trade deadline for Harrison Bader.
In 98 appearances, Montgomery had a 3.94 ERA over 502.2 innings.
Jan. 2, 8:30 p.m.
The Yankees are among teams who are showing interest in a potential reunion with third baseman Gio Urshela, according to Will Sammon of the Athletic.
Urshela enjoyed a breakout campaign in his first season with the Yanks back in 2019, posting career-highs across the board while playing stellar defense at the hot corner.
The 31-year-old spent three more years in the Bronx before being traded to the Twins ahead of the 2022 season.
Urshela spent last season with the Los Angeles Angels, but he appeared in just 62 games before suffering a left pelvis fracture, which didn't require surgery but brought his season to an end.
Sammon notes that the Mets have also been in contact with the veteran third baseman as they look to fill out their roster ahead of spring training.
Dec. 30, 1:45 p.m.
Former Yankees right-hander Frankie Montas is signing a one-year, $16 million deal with the Cincinnati Reds, according to numerous reports.
Montas spent a season and a half in the Bronx, but made just nine appearances over that span after undergoing arthroscopic surgery in his right shoulder.
New York had shown interest in a reunion with the right-hander as they look to fill out their rotation, but now they'll have to turn their attention elsewhere.
Dec. 26, 8:00 p.m.
With ace right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto officially off the board on a historic deal with the Dodgers, the Yankees and many other teams will have to turn elsewhere to fill out their rotation this offseason.
One of the more intriguing arms remaining on the free agent market is Japanese southpaw Shota Imanaga.
With his Jan. 11 deadline quickly approaching, the 30-year-old is expected to meet with teams in the United States after the New Year, according to the Boston Globe's Alex Speier.
Imanaga doesn't quite have the upside Yamamoto possesses, but he's certainly enjoyed his fair share of success over the past few years in the NPB.
Both the Mets and Yanks could make a ton of sense for the left-hander, who struck out 188 batters last season and is seen as more of a middle-of-the-rotation arm in MLB.
Dec. 17, 11:40 p.m.
If the Yankees fail in their pursuit to sign Japanese right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto, they plan to be quite “aggressive” in the free agent pitching market, reports The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal.
The Yanks have held internal discussions about bringing back left-hander Jordan Montgomery and also could potentially look to build, what a source told Rosenthal, a “super-charged” bullpen.
Rosenthal added that if the Yanks sign Yamamoto, they will likely stay in the market for more pitching "seeking affordable options" to add to the rotation.
Montgomery pitched to a 3.20 ERA (3.56 FIP) in 188.2 innings over 32 starts in 2023, 11 of which came for the Texas Rangers after a late July trade from St. Louis. The soon-to-be 31-year-old struck out 166 and walked just 48 with a 1.193 WHIP.
Montgomery spent the first five years of his career in the Bronx before he was traded to the Cardinals for Harrison Bader in his sixth big league season.
He made six appearances (five starts) in the postseason in 2023, pitching to a 2.90 ERA (3.90 FIP) over 31 innings en route to a World Series ring.
Dec. 17, 10:45 a.m.
The Yankees are expected to have a second meeting with Japanese ace Yoshinobu Yamamoto as early as Sunday, according to SNY's Andy Martino.
The right-hander is in town after he had dinner with a Mets contingent including manager Carlos Mendoza and pitching coach Jeremy Hefner at Steve Cohen's house on Saturday night.
While he's in the area, Martino notes he'll head crosstown to have a second meeting in the Bronx.
The Mets haven't made a offer to Yamamoto yet, and it's still unknown if the Yankees have or not, but the process is expected to accelerate this week.
Dec. 14, 8:30 p.m.
As the Yoshinobu Yamamoto sweepstakes continue, the Yankees are among teams keeping their eyes on some contingency plans.
New York is considering left-hander Shota Imanaga as a fallback option if they miss out on Yamamoto, according to Jon Heyman of the New York Post.
The Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, and Dodgers are some of the others with interest.
While Imanaga doesn't quite have the upside of the 25-year-old Yamamoto, he did enjoy a ton of success of his own throughout his eight-year NPB career.
The southpaw posted a 2.66 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, and 188 strikeouts across 24 starts last season for the Yokohama DeNA BayStars.
Dec. 7, 10:32 a.m.
The Yankees have interest in hard-throwing right-handed free agent reliever Jordan Hicks, per Brendan Kuty and Chris Kirschner of The Athletic.
Hicks, 27, has a high-octane fastball that averaged a tick over 100 mph in 2023 and has reached as high as 104 mph in regular season games.
He has had a number of health issues that have hampered him since his rookie season in 2018, when he appeared in a career-high 73 games. But Hicks was healthy and very effective for the Cardinals and Blue Jays in 2023.
In 65.2 innings over 65 appearances in 2023, Hicks had a 3.29 ERA (3.22 FIP) and 1.35 WHIP with 81 strikeouts -- a rate of 11.1 per nine.