Nestor Cortes, Jose Trevino react to being named All-Stars for first time in their careers

'I'm out to prove the people that believed in me right'

7/11/2022, 12:46 AM
0 seconds of 1 minute, 44 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
01:44
01:44
 

Entering the 2022 season, Jose Trevino was a last-second addition to the Yankees, and was thought of as nothing more as a platoon player behind Kyle Higashioka. Nestor Cortes turned heads last year with surprising numbers, but there weren't many expectations.

But on Sunday, both were rewarded with their first All-Star nods of their careers.

Cortes has proven that last year was no fluke, and Trevino might arguably be the biggest steal of not only the Yankees' offseason, but throughout all of baseball.

"It means a lot... It's been a long, long journey," said Trevino. "I've said this before, I'm out to prove the people that believed in me right. I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong anymore. I'm just trying to prove to everybody that believed in me right. I'm very thankful."

Cortes was brought into Aaron Boone's office on Sunday, and the two talked about his next start. It seemed like a typical player-manager meeting until Boone dropped the bomb.

"We had a conversation in spring training saying that he knows I can be an All-Star this year... He said 'remember the conversation we had in spring training.' And he said I was gonna be an All-Star," Cortes said. "I've never been a part of one, so I don't know what to expect, but the guys that are going, a few of them have gone already, so I think they're gonna make it special, and it's gonna be really cool to participate."

Cortes' 2.74 ERA leads the Yanks, while Trevino is slashing .255.303/.438 going into Sunday's finale against the Boston Red Sox, and has come up with clutch hits including two walk-offs thus far.


Popular in the Community