Mets' Dominic Smith takes next step toward return from foot injury as he ramps up baseball activity

Smith is hoping to return before the season ends

9/16/2019, 9:43 PM
Apr 7, 2019; New York City, NY, USA; New York Mets infielder Dominic Smith (22) at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Wendell Cruz-USA TODAY Sports / Wendell Cruz
Apr 7, 2019; New York City, NY, USA; New York Mets infielder Dominic Smith (22) at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Wendell Cruz-USA TODAY Sports / Wendell Cruz

There are only 13 games left in the regular season, but Dominic Smith is still hoping to return. And he took a big step on Monday.

Smith, who had been with the team, has traveled to Florida to start doing "more baseball activities and maybe getting some at-bats," manager Mickey Callaway said before Monday night's game in Colorado.

Smith, who has been out since July 26 due to a stress fracture in his left foot, ran and hit off a tee last week for the first time since suffering the injury, according to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com.

The 24-year-old Smith was recently transferred from the 10- to 60-day IL, meaning he won't be eligible to return to the active roster until Sept. 25. 

Smith, who is hitting .278/.352/.506 with 10 homers and 10 doubles in 88 games this season, said at the time of the injury that he initially tried to play through it. 

"You feel something and you don't think much of it," Smith said. "We're all competitors here. We all play through little things. ... It just was getting worse.

If Smith is able to return on Sept. 25, he would be back for the final five games of the regular season -- two against the Marlins and three against the Braves, all at Citi Field. 


HARPER: What's next for Mets and Wheeler? >> Read More

MARTINO: Many layers of nuance to Callaway removing Wheeler on Sunday >> Read More

FORMER METS WATCH: Updates on Kay, Flores, others >> Read More

Popular in the Community