Injured Mets outfielder Michael Conforto, whose status for Opening Day on March 26 is very much in doubt, spoke on Wednesday at spring training about his status.
Conforto, who suffered a grade 1 oblique strain on Saturday when he twisted his body to make a catch in right field while shielding his eyes from the sun, said that while there's currently no timetable for his return, he already feels better.
"Definitely feel better than a couple of days ago," Conforto said. "My symptoms weren't all that crazy. After a couple of days of treatment, I felt quite a bit better. So right now I feel pretty good."
While GM Brodie Van Wagenen and Conforto haven't ruled out him returning by Opening Day, it's hard to see a scenario where Conforto is ready in just 15 days.
"Basically, obliques are different for everybody," Conforto said. "We decided that it's gonna be based on my symptoms, it's gonna be based on the measurements that we've taken over the past couple of years -- spring training, end of last year. ... what I will say is I feel very good right now."
The expectation had been that Conforto would start in right field most games, with Brandon Nimmo in center field and and J.D. Davis in left field.
While Conforto is out, the Mets have plenty of options to turn to as fill-ins, including Dominic Smith and Jake Marisnick. They also have the option of sliding Jeff McNeil back to the outfield and using a different alignment out there while putting Davis at third base.