Carlos Correa was officially re-introduced as a member of the Minnesota Twins on Wednesday, following agreed-upon contracts with the Mets and San Francisco Giants falling through due to medical concerns.
The 28-year-old shortstop previously agreed to a 13-year deal worth $350 million with the Giants and a 12-year, $315 million deal with the Mets. Concerns over Correa’s surgically repaired right ankle ultimately threw a wrench into both situations, leading Correa to sign a shorter six-year, $200 million deal with the Twins. That contract contains four option years at the end that could vest depending on Correa's plate appearance numbers.
Despite previously agreeing to deals with two other clubs, Correa said on Wednesday that he and his family are very happy to be back in Minnesota, saying “my heart was here.”
“It was a lot of challenges thrown at us throughout the whole process, but at the end of the day (agent Scott Boras) got me to a place where I’m happy, where I feel right at home, where I feel like I’m going to have a chance to win every single year, where we have a really good core of players,” Correa said. “I’m happy to be here in Minnesota. I’m happy to be a Twin.
"We started something special last year and there is some more work to be done. At the end of the day, I want to bring a championship back to this city, and that’s what we’re going to work for, for now on.”