With about a month to go until Spring Training starts, the Mets and Pete Alonso are still playing a game of chicken, waiting to see which side blinks first.
On the Mets' side is David Stearns, whose philosophy partially revolves around not giving out big deals in terms of years to players who are 30 or older -- something he has held firm on when it comes to pitchers (Corbin Burnes and Max Fried are recent examples of free agents Stearns passed on) and position players.
On Alonso's side is Scott Boras, who had a brutal offseason a year ago and has done much better this time around. But it seems that Boras could be overplaying his hand when it comes to Alonso.
According to numerous recent reports, Alonso continues to look for a long-term deal, with Jon Heyman of The New York Post reporting on Wednesday that the slugger wants "at least" six years. That report came on the heels of one from Bob Nightengale of USA Today that said Boras was using Prince Fielder's nine-year, $214 million contract (that he signed in 2012) as a comparison for what Alonso should get.
The above shouldn't come as a surprise, since Boras said on the record last year that he didn't consider the deals signed by Matt Olson (eight year, $168 million extension in 2022) and Paul Goldschmidt (five-year, $130 million extension in 2019) to be fair comparisons when it came to what Alonso should receive.
But despite the desires of Alonso and Boras, it is incredibly difficult to envision any team offering Alonso six years -- or even five -- at this point. Even before Alonso had two straight down seasons ahead of reaching free agency for the first time, the market had shifted when it comes to what slugging first basemen get.
To sum it up, it is utterly fanciful to think any team that has so far balked at what Alonso wants is going to all of a sudden give in this late in the offseason.
And even though a reunion between Alonso and the Mets continues to make all the sense in the world, both sides are in a precarious spot.