Earlier this month, with an already-successful offseason nearing a close, the Mets capped it off by re-signing Pete Alonso to a two-year, $54 million contract to keep the first baseman in Queens. The deal came after tons of speculation and chatter that both parties would end up splitting and falling short of a negotiation.
It wasn't exactly the long-term contract that Alonso, 30, was hoping for at the beginning of the offseason. But with an opt-out after the first year, in which he'll make $30 million, it was good enough to satisfy both sides for a reunion that seemed inevitable the longer things went on.
After the Mets' first full-squad workout on Monday, Alonso spoke to reporters for the first time since the end of last season and discussed his side of the contract negotiations.
"I thought that it was really special when the deal got done," Alonso said. "It’s no secret that David [Stearns] and Steve [Cohen] came down and met with me. I respect that so much and I appreciate that, dealing with people face to face like that. It was good to kind of hear their perspective and obviously voice mine and here we are. We’re back at it again."
It's clear that Alonso wanted to remain a Met. After all, it's the only organization that he's ever been with -- he called it "a really special place." He spoke fondly of all the relationships he's built during his time in New York, and even credited some of his peers and teammates who kept in contact with him urging him to stay in New York.
"This is a really special place and what makes this a special place is the people here," Alonso said. "We’ve got a great clubhouse, obviously great talent. I’ve been here my entire career, so many relationships that I have fostered and created over the years and what we have gone through as an organization, and to be able to do some special things that we’ve done, not just last year but in years past. I just have a really special connection to this place, this city and it’s really exciting to be back."
Still, it's no secret that the negotiations between Alonso and the Mets became strenuous, exhausting even.
That's where the in-person meeting with Stearns and Cohen really pushed things over the finish line, as they were able to personally give their long-term plan to Alonso who, as a team-controlled player until this offseason, hadn't necessarily been given an in-depth presentation into what the organization had planned moving forward.
"For me, just being here I’ve just been a player," Alonso said. "I haven’t really had a peek behind the curtain or a concise, clear-cut vision of not just this year but years beyond... It’s just us making sense of everything so we could have a good plan going forward. I thought it was really productive."